07 November 2014

Story Time

November 8: Write about a memorable moment in the classroom that reminded you why you teach.

One 8th grade student, who has been particularly troubling as far as behavior this year, came into my classroom about a month ago and saw me handing out a classroom set of the story "Believing in Brooklyn" by Matt de la Peña. I was planning to do a read aloud/think aloud with it. He said, "Can I read first?" I was surprised, for he struggles as a reader.  Many others chimed in with, "Me, too!" and "I want to read. Can we do popcorn?" 

Now I know the research isn't very positive when it comes to popcorn reading, but multiple students wanted to read aloud, in a class where I had been struggling to get students engaged. So, I decided to give it a try. 

I sat in my rocking chair and listened to them gallantly try, and mostly succeed, in reading with expression. They read multiple paragraphs before calling on the next person. There were no awkward pauses and no one got lost or complained about reading. When I stopped to think aloud, they volunteered their thoughts without prompting. I could not believe it. Who were these kids anyway?!

We were well into the story, when I looked around the room. I saw the girls piled like puppies on the floor at my feet, and the boys gathered around in chairs and beanbags for story time. They were intent on reading the story. Their faces showed deep concentration and enjoyment. Not a single child was off-task. The story is that awesome!

The glow of pleasure I felt made me want to freeze this moment and savor it. For the thought running through my mind  was, I can't believe I get paid to do this! This is the best job EVER!

When we listen to and honor student choices, we, and they, reap far greater benefits than when we plan lessons alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment