03 November 2014

Proud Pinnacles

November 3: What are you most proud of to date in your teaching career?

There have been a lot of proud moments over the years--many small victories worthy of celebration. Here are three highlights.

When a beautiful, funny girl nicknamed Q accused me, "You changed my life, Mrs. Paulsen. You made me read.  I never finished a chapter book until Living Dead Girl.  Now I've finished three!  I can't stop reading now." She was simultaneously proud and mad.  It was a wondrous sight. And then three more girls chimed in with similar stories.  I nearly cried at this unexpected turning point. And then the principal walked in for a surprise visit, and they all spontaneously shared their stories again. Proof:  The right book in the hands of the right kid at the right time will turn anyone into a reader.

When the author Matt de la Pena came to visit my school, two other schools, and the public library because I insisted and persisted until everyone got on board with me.  The memories of that day will last forever for my students.  The euphoria and magic are still in effect.  I'm still struggling to articulate the kind of game-changing effect meeting real authors has on a student's reading and writing life.  My principal, Mr. Dave Welter, (below left), gave me a chance to address the entire student body in introducing Mr. de la Pena.  It was an amazing opportunity to champion independent reading and diversity in literature before my colleagues and around 500 students.  I'll never forget it.



When I gave a speech to my 8th graders for "This I Believe" about why I say "Make Wise Choices" every day.  And they gave me a standing ovation.  And then a sweet, shy boy with blond hair hanging in his eyes, volunteered to go after me, and brought many of us to tears with his powerfully honest and articulate speech about loneliness and how you should believe in friendship. The class gave him a standing ovation too.  A number of students have asked if we could do that unit again this year because it was the most meaningful piece of writing they've ever written.

These are the moments that linger--when the joy in my work reached an unexpected pinnacle.


1 comment: